Monday, May 9, 2011

Cartoons VS Real-Time

In the years that I've been working in 3D, I've seeded this bizarre expectation in my brain: everything should look realistic. Even when I was working on the entrance portfolio for the RRC course I'm taking, there was this strange vibe that my works always have to reflect on "realism." I understand where this is coming from; all the 3D that's influenced me has some quality of realism.

As of late, I've been pondering, "why the heck would I want to go that far?" while I'm exuberantly content with being a cartoonist. Thinking long-term, I understand we have to do a major studio project for next year - all the works I've seen from 3D have been so catered to realism...but is that really me? What really drives me crazy (in a good way): the realistic graphics that have taken the new Final Fantasy games? Or the adorable cartoony styles of Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing?

When I was a wee lass, I had a town-full of characters that seemed to evolve on their own; their personalities and adventures were bar-none to anything I was supposed to be doing in my life. Why yes, this did affect me academically, although I always kept my head above water and passed all my courses. I graduated on time, with no issues, but this was always my mega-dream. Since 12 years old, I'd decided I wanted nothing more than to see this world someday in it's own television series.

Thinking long-term and in the now, I'm going to take my modeling in the direction of my cartoon style. I see how important it is to gain more knowledge in the 3D field of realism ... but when it comes to "what we want to do," I know my place in the artistic world. Thus, I'm old, I've got the skills and resources at my finger tips. I've no doubt in my mind this is where I want to be.

So to happily rip off Nike for a mo, "just do it." (And bwahaha!! It is three words in the English dictionary!! You cannot sue me!!...) ...

*run*run*run*slam*vroooom*screeeeech* ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! :) I'll get back to you as soon as I can! :)